Thursday, September 15, 2005

grr. and stuff.

When I've not been running hither and yon, I've been an insatiable news junkie since the weekend right before Katrina hit, and the more I learn the more I wonder just how this administration manages to function at all. That's honestly not an overstatement. I'm at the point where I have no idea how anything is getting done these days.

And I'm not just talking about Katrina and her aftereffects, although the federal response and the FEMA efforts and Brown and the FEMA leadership and the local/state/federal coordination and the GOP's unanimous vote in the Senate against an independent committee to investigate matters and the rampant financial cronyism evident in Iraq being destined to repeat itself as Bush and the Republicans throw money at this hand over fist in an effort to "take responsibility" and make up for what happened (as if anything ever could) ought to be enough to make any sane person furious.

(OK, so that was a long and semi-convoluted sentence. Sorry.)

I'm talking about the way that Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney (who sits on a federal Homeland Security advisory council and is considering a run for the presidency in 2008) apparently wants us to randomly wiretap mosques and conduct surveilance on/track foreign students. I'm talking about the way that House Majority Leader Tom DeLay is apparently completely delusional, considering the ridiculous things he's saying about the budget. I'm talking about the way that John Roberts slid through his hearings without really saying anything at all (and I actually kinda like the guy, but that doesn't change the fact that nobody learned anything about him this week). I'm talking about the evolution/intelligent design silliness going on in Kansas. I'm talking about Dubya having the gall to go before the UN and scold them for a) squandering the world's respect and b) making a mockery of human rights, even though that's exactly what he did with a) Iraq and b) Katrina. I'm talking about the way that almost everything in Iraq seems to just keep on getting messier even though we supposedly "won" many moons ago. And on and on and on, round and round it goes and where it stops nobody knows.

I know I'm a cynic, but damn. You look around and you see mess after mess after mess and you have to wonder just how things went so horribly wrong and why there aren't more people asking more questions. *sigh*

ION, the Cubs still suck. And the Bears still suck. And the Hawks really let me down last weekend. Aren't I just the world's cheeriest person? Well, neener neener, because there is good news - and no, I'm not saving a bunch of money on my car insurance. Season one of Lost should be here tomorrow or Saturday. I'm kicking some Kingdom Hearts butt and reading one of the craziest trilogies ever (and I'm sure I'll say more about it here when I've finished it all, so I'll just leave it until then to talk about). The volunteer stuff I've been doing has been really cool and I've met some interesting people. Work is good. The apartment is cool. I love my new computer. The weather got rainy and coolish. Aside from the big picture, things are pretty alright. Thanks for asking.

4 Comments:

At September 17, 2005 12:19 AM, Blogger Hank said...

Todd, you have no apt number? There's none in the database. The "package" will still get to you?

 
At September 17, 2005 4:00 AM, Blogger Todd said...

1) hee. A lot of people seem to be fed up with Oprah, if the steep drop in sales of Oprah Book Club stuff is any indication.
2) Yeah, there's definitely responsibility to spread around on all levels - for instance, Nagin hasn't answered yet for why all those New Orleans school busses sat empty, and in a lot that eventually flooded, when there were so many people that could have evacuated on them. But the Feds were by far the worst of all, if you take all the stories into account.
3) It has to be rebuilt. There's no way around the fact that we need a major port city at the mouth of the Mississippi River. But there's no way on earth to justify just rebuilding it as it was. A large number of changes are going to have to be made to do it right, and smarter minds than me are going to have to iron all of that out. I'm a doctor, not an engineer!
4) Well, there are natural disasters everywhere. Mountains get avalanches and blizzards, the plains get tornadoes and flooding, the left coast gets earthquakes and *potential* vulcanism and tsunamis, the gulf coast gets hurricanes... things just get tore up sometimes. *shrug* And I think that when New Orleans was originally built, they weren't so much into planning and thinking of the possible long-term effects of hurricanes. ^_^

And Hank! No apartment number. I call it an apartment because it's in an apartment complex, but technically it's a two-story townhouse and has its own address. Bring on the "package!"

 
At November 05, 2005 4:47 PM, Blogger Todd said...

OMG! Jurgens! Good to see ya, buddy. Thanks for the props, although they're not necessary. Just trying to put my money where my mouth is once in a while. ^_^

 
At March 10, 2013 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

valium anxiety generic 5 mg valium - side effects mixing valium alcohol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home