Monday, June 27, 2005

Operators are standing by.

You know what bugs me? "Everything, because you're a pessimistic cynic who has very little faith in humanity or the state of the world today?" Well, yeah. But you know what's bugging me right this minute? Those commercials on TV or the radio where somebody's trying to sell you something, and then they say "call within the next fifteen minutes and we'll throw in a Ronco Turnip Twaddler free of charge!" Dude. Do you have any idea how many TV and radio stations there are in this country? There's no way these fly-by-night outfits are keeping track of what commercial plays when where, let alone who lives within a reasonable viewing/listening area of said commercial. If I call and order, I'm getting the free Turnip Twaddler no matter when their damn commercial last aired here in Tulsa. I'm not stupid and I don't appreciate companies counting on my stupidity to make me feel like I did something special and got myself a super bargain by virtue of my quick decision-making skillz.

Ah, well. It's not like I was gonna order their crappy merchandise anyway.

3 Comments:

At June 28, 2005 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. I always thought the "call in 15 minutes" bs was estupido. Though I'm sure Opus would run to the phone ASAP.

How about those Leptoprin commercials? "When is a diet pill worth $150?" When you're a REALLY big sucker? BWAH!

I love how they casually throw in the line, "Leptoprin is not for those wanting to lose 5 or 10 vanity pounds." Hah! That'll rake in the rubes who go for the quack cure.

 
At June 28, 2005 3:46 PM, Blogger Hank said...

See, you're an optimist. You hear the "everyone who calls within the next 30 minutes" crap and assume that *everyone* gets that deal, whereas I hear that crap and assume that *no one* gets that deal... for the same reasons you state. This commercial is running in dozens of cities and all hours; surely "the next 30 minutes" ended days if not weeks ago.

But see, this illustrates perfectly the two kinds of Cub fans: One type is an eternal optimist... "This is the Cubs year!!! They're going to do it this time!!!", no matter how many years (almost 100 now) they're proven wrong.

The other type of Cub fan is an eternal pessimist... even if the Cubs are 20 games in front in September this person wonders how they'll fuck it up this time, for of course they *will* fuck it up. "Oh sure... they're leading the series 3-1 and thus only have to win one more game... but trust me... they'll blow it somehow."

We know which one is Todd, and which one is me. ;-)

 
At July 18, 2005 7:06 PM, Blogger Todd said...

Tea sucks. :op

 

Post a Comment

<< Home