Tuesday, May 02, 2006

It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.

On the minus side: I spent the day in Tahlequah, stuffing books into boxes. Because the bookstore doesn't have enough books (untrue) and all of the employees just sit around on their asses all day long (also untrue), loafing their way to their enormous paychecks (so completely untrue as to be ludicrous). I'll be doing this for a number of days. Along the way I'll be loading and unloading a pickup truck, using said boxes, and then once everything is finally all boxed up there will be a day or two that involves some sort of rented truck. This is not something that I see as being a particularly good time.

On the plus side: A bunch of people that I truly miss are, as of this evening and an invite from a guy I hadn't talked to in forever and a subsequent surf through his friends list, now on my myspace list. Would that I were going to North Carolina in nine days and not South, because then I could meet up with at least a couple of them. (Not that I have any problems with the SC trip, because it's gonna kick so much ass.) I do a lot of bitching about Springfield, mainly because it sucks. But I did meet quite a few great people there. I mean really awesomely cool people, people you'd take a bullet for if the situation called for it, people you should stay in much closer touch with than I currently do.

On the minus side: I had to kind of "break things off" with someone that I wasn't officially "dating" anyway, and it was a little rougher on both of us (I think - it was on me, anyway, and I get the impression I'm not alone in that) than it probably would/should have been if we really were just kinda "having fun" and "not really interested in getting attached." Or maybe it's just been long enough since I've been in that situation that I'm misinterpreting things entirely, because that's possible. Anyway, now I feel kinda sad. Hopefully we can at least still be friends. Because she really is a cool person.

On the plus side: There's a reason for the previous minus, and that reason has a feminine name. But I'm not going to jinx things by talking too much about that. Just... happy yay joy whee!

On the minus side: feeling kinda sad + happy yay joy whee = mental confusion and steadily accumulating tiredness.

On the plus side: I've got a bed upstairs. Which should take care of that pesky tiredness. Me and Neal Stephenson have a date with that bed in pretty short order.

Also today, I:
  • found like six books I've been looking for forever.
  • saw the most disgusting "sushi" I've ever seen at a Chinese buffet in Tahlequah, OK (which is a perfectly logical place to see the most disgusting "sushi" ever, actually).
  • almost fell asleep on the clock. I was, however, in the bookstore's truck between cities, which isn't exactly like falling asleep at my desk or anything.
  • found out that Stef is in town for like a month, which is cool. I think she's the one I'm going to drag to "Poseidon," since my roomie works like all freakin' weekend long these days.
  • made Mug root beer come out of somebody's nose.
  • almost took my left eye out with the corner of a cardboard box.
  • used the word "obstreperous" in conversation.

All in all, it felt a lot like a Monday. I'm glad it wasn't, though. The weekend's far enough away as it is.

4 Comments:

At May 03, 2006 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't it funny that all those guys turned up on myspace? you should tell those losers to drive down & meet you in SC for a day. it isn't like its really that far. seriously.

any chance you are connecting through Chicago with a layover? we could have a beer...

 
At May 03, 2006 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh and girls are overrated. i should know, i am one.

 
At May 03, 2006 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girls ARE overrated. But who else is gonna do your laundry for you?

Just kiddin. I'm a girl. I should know better. ;-)

And if you ever have a layover in Chicago, I'd better get a phone call too. I may not buy you a beer, but I'll let you buy me one.

 
At May 04, 2006 2:41 PM, Blogger Todd said...

Now, see, two of the coolest women I know live in Chicago (where, unfortunately, I'm not laying over during this trip). It's obvious that I'm living in the wrong city... ^_^

 

Post a Comment

<< Home